- AFLW 2017: Fremantle v Adelaide, Fremantle Oval – 4,758
- Sun STV
#AFLW #FoxFooty Dockers v Crows 62k
- JLT 2017: North v Hawthorn, Arden Street – 3,981
- JLT 2017: Gold Coast v Essendon, Mackay – no crowd given yet
- Sun STV
#AFL #FoxFooty North Melb v Hawthorn 126k Suns v Bombers 109k
- News reports that the AFL is continuing to secretly trial a Twenty20-inspired version of the game that it believes can take hold in countries across the world, including China.
- HAL 2016-17: Newcastle v Central Coast, McDonald Jones – 9,423
- Sun STV
#ALeague #FoxSports Newcastle v Central Coast 49k
- The Mercury reports that Independent Denison MP Andrew Wilkie believes proposed changes to the A-League will not affect Tasmania’s chances of securing an expansion club, with a significant announcement surrounding the state’s bid expected in about three weeks.
- Michael Cockerill writes in Fairfax that as the A-League stagnates, the National Premier League is in an arms race
- Phil Rothfield writes that last week’s financial report on the 16 NRL clubs showed why the league has to bring in a second Brisbane team to stop the Broncos’ monopoly.
- News reports the NRL will introduce a salary cap on football departments next season following revelations the 16 clubs have blown their budgets by a staggering $29 million.
- NRL chief Todd Greenberg on Sunday defended the game’s commercial links to gambling in the wake of the allegations levelled at Tim Simona, insisting administrators were working hard to maintain “a really strong balance” between the sport’s integrity and catering for thousands of supporters who enjoyed punting on the competition.
- The Raiders are reporting that they have achieved a new membership record of 15,603
- The Charity Shield was the highest rated sports event on Foxtel this week. Foxfooty was the 5th ranked STV channel.