- JLT Series: Adelaide Crows d Geelong Cats: Crowd: 3,800 at Richmond Oval
- JLT Series: Richmond d Port Adelaide: Crowd: 4,649 @ Malseed Park
- Jon Ralph writes in the Heraldsun that the AFL must keep the preseason competition.
- The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Westconnex deal with GWS is not without some controversy.
- A-League: Brisbane d Newcastle: Crowd: 7,122 @ McDonald Jones Stadium
- Sun HAL – Central Coast v Melbourne City – Crowd: 5,974 at Central Coast Stadium
- The Age reports that Victorian clubs plan revolt to force A-League promotion and relegation
- NRL: Warriors d Knights: Crowd: 13,712 @ Mt Smart Stadium (NZ)
- NRL: Eels d Sea Eagles: Crowd: 11,318 @ Brookvale Oval
- Round 1 NRL Crowd average is the lowest for the opening round since the end of Superleague.
- Wagering firm Ladbrokes have renewed their partnership with the Gold Coast Titans for a further two seasons. The deal means Ladbrokes branding will remain on the Titans playing jerseys.
- News Limited reports that rugby bosses are kidding themselves to imagine the Kiwis will be gleefully rushing towards any trans-Tasman solution to Super Rugby’s messed-up format.
- The Australian reports that the ARU sees it as vital for Australian rugby that SANZAAR survives
- The Australian Rugby Union have signed a deal with training and recovery equipment brand Blackroll. Blackroll will be the official supplier of athletic training, physio and recovery tools for the Wallabies.