- RICHMOND expects to be granted an AFL Women’s licence for the 2019 season. Peggy O’Neal told members she believed Richmond was the strongest-positioned Victorian club to support and nurture indigenous female participation and talent and said the club’s commitment to supporting female talent in its academy zone and alignment with Bendigo Thunder would be a major asset in its bid.
- Tim Lane wrote that the argument on behalf of a Tasmanian AFL team is won and that the onus is now on the AFL to find a way.
- ASTRA has rated Foxfooty #1 STV Channel 6 weeks in a row and 7/9 weeks since season start. Foxleague #2
- End of Round 9 and AFL average crowds are up 0.81% to 34,810 but down 0.44% on aggregate to 2.784m. (likely due to being 1 game less)
- While some sponsors are content merely to have their logo plastered across team jerseys, Chinese telecoms giant Huawei has been forging a high-tech partnership with the Canberra Raiders.
- St George Illawara Dragons have renewed their sponsorship deal with the University of Wollongong for another three years. The university and the National Rugby League (NRL) team will collaborate on community projects until 2020
- End of Round 11, NRL Crowds currently down 4% on 2016 to 1.39m at an ave of 15,806. (down 52,081 on agg and 9,197 on R11)
- The Australian says that essentially, Australia’s current rugby problems all derive from one simple question: can the game sustain five Super Rugby teams?
- Australian rugby will get the summit meeting that so many people have been clamouring for. It might not be quite the meeting they were expecting but, regardless, it will take place in Sydney next Thursday or Friday.
- 2017 Super Rugby Attendance figures to the end of round 13.
@Reds_Rugby lead the way with 16,100 ave. Rebels last on 8,446
- 2017 Super Rugby Foxtel figures to the end of round 12.
@NSWWaratahs lead the way at 69k, @MelbourneRebels 5th at 47k
A-league & other football
- Sydney could become the permanent home of the A-League grand final as part of a NSW government plan to bid for the hosting rights for the competition’s decider, regardless of the teams competing.
- The promoters of the MCG blockbuster between Brazil and Argentina are incensed with the Brazilian Football Federation after it backtracked on its contract obligations and said it will not send out its strongest squad for the sellout match in Melbourne next month.