The Daily Telegraph reports that the Sydney NRL clubs lost a combined 34.1 million in 2016.
Five of the nine Sydney franchises sank deeper into the red, headlined by the Eels and Canterbury, as it’s revealed collectively clubs will lose $4.5 million more than last year.
- SOUTH Sydney suffered almost a $4 million downturn in fortunes after posting a healthy $1.4 million profit last year;
- THE Sharks performed the best, posting a loss of just $500,000 this year;
- THE Sydney Roosters will lose $3.2 million;
- ST GEORGE Illawarra lost $2 million which was underwritten by a Leagues Club grant;
- PRIVATELY owned Manly are $1.5 million in the red after being locked in a court dispute over alleged non-payment of a major sponsorship; and
- PENRITH and the Wests Tigers sustained operating losses of $5.4 million and $2.8 million respectively.