Tuesday News Headlines – March 14th, 2017
- The Lions will host the women’s grand final as an afternoon game at the Gabba and not a twilight game at Metricon ahead of the men’s opening game of the season against the Gold Coast Suns. The women will play at the Gabba with the start time still to be finalised but likely to commence at 3.10pm (AEDT). The earliest the game would commence is 1.10pm (AEDT).
- Fox Footy channel is spruiking the live nature of their coverage of the AFL season in the lead up to the season launch in a new ad featuring AFL stars and president of the Collingwood Football Club Eddie McGuire. The ad ends with the slogan ‘Cause everyone’s team deserves to be seen’.
- The FFA might have kiboshed Canberra’s chances of having an A-League team, but Canberra FC are considering throwing their hat in the ring to be the ACT’s B-League team.
- The Guardian says that Sydney FC’s underwhelming crowds should be cause for alarm
- The Herald Sun has reported the NRL is preparing to announce Origin II next year will be held on a Sunday, most likely at the MCG which can hold a six-figure crowd.
- THE North Sydney Bears are preparing an audacious $7 million bid to take over the Gold Coast Titans and rejoin the NRL.
- Dean Ritchie reports that the NRL should bring back the Bears.
- Two of the Australian Super Rugby clubs most in danger of being axed from the competition, the Melbourne Rebels and the Western Force, have called for the creation of a Super Rugby Commission to take charge of its development.
- With total cricket revenue expected to soar beyond $2 billion over five years the Australian Cricketers Association remains concerned about why CA is looking to limit a revenue sharing agreement.