Todays Media Wrap for Wednesday, August 19th, 2023 – Sports Industry News from the AFL, NBL and Netball
- The Western Bulldogs have exceeded 50,000 members for a second consecutive year. It marks the second time in Club history that the Bulldogs’ membership tally has reached the 50,000 milestone, and in record pace too.
- There’s no doubt about it, the nation’s first AFL Gather Round over the weekend was a roaring success, culminating in AFL’s confirmation that the footy festival will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.
- Businesses across South Australia have cheered success following the inaugural AFL Gather Round over the weekend.
- The Brisbane Lions’ search for a temporary home while the Gabba gets rebuilt might be over, with detailed designs commissioned by the state government for an AFL field to be laid over the Broncos’ former home ground.
- Gather Round is going nowhere, and that’s the correct call – but that means it’s back to the drawing board for the AFL as it seeks to invigorate the game in NSW. Sydney footy needs all the help it can get.
- In a room full of Liberal people – There was not a person at that dinner who does not think Gather Round is the best thing that’s happened to SA since the Grand Prix, if not better.
- The NBL has pulled off a significant boardroom coup by poaching a leading AFL executive to take on the new role of CEO of the NBL and lead the growing code towards expansion.
- Netball NSW is delighted to announce the launch of an interactive course entitled C.A.R.E. The course aims to empower and support the netball community to unite and take action to create positive change for First Nations participants in the game.