- A former radioactive waste dump could become a soccer stadium for Melbourne Victory despite concerns from neighbouring homes about gas and other contaminants from the closed landfill sites in the western suburbs.
- According to figures compiled by the players association (PFA) from a survey of nearly 90% of A-League Men contracts, overall player payments hit at least $58.8m last season, more than 10% higher than the previous high in 2019-20 – the year Covid struck.
- The Newcastle Jets have today announced their extension with Australian-owned apparel provider Legend Sportswear for the following season.
- Geelong is excited to announce a new three-year partnership with Australia’s most trusted paint brand, Dulux, welcoming them as the Club’s Official Paint Partner.
- The Westmead Institute for Medical Research (WIMR) and the GIANTS are excited to announce a new community partnership.
- The Richmond Football Club and nib have extended their sponsorship agreement for a further four years, taking the partnership for the men’s program to a decade, and the women, to seven years.
- The West Coast Eagles and BHP are proud to announce a partnership extension for a further three years. The partnership between the world-leading resources company and the four-time premiers began in 2005,
- The Western Bulldogs have announced a partnership extension with CoinSpot for a further three years. Australia’s number one Cryptocurrency exchange will remain as a premier partner of the Club’s AFL and AFLW teams until at least the end of 2026
- The strong and enduring partnership the Western Bulldogs have forged with its Major Partner Mission Foods will continue for a further five years. Mission and the Bulldogs, who have worked hand-in-hand since 2009, will reach 20 years together by 2028
- The Netball World Cup’s title sponsor has pulled the plug on its deal less than three weeks out from the first centre pass.
- For all rugby league’s on-pitch brutality, it has proved to be just as brutal off it, and the counter-punches between the NRL and RLPA have come thick and fast.
- An historic NRLW season launch celebrating a brand new 10 team competition is now highly unlikely to go ahead in Sydney next week. Those plans are now in extreme doubt with no iron-clad guarantee players would attend, or not cancel at the last minute.
- The Canterbury Rugby League has partnered with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in a potential pathway to the NRL club.
- To help unpack and analyse a huge 2023 NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership season, Fox League is launching a new Thursday night show, NRLW on Fox. The 30-minute program, hosted by Lara Pitt, will focus on NRLW players and their stories.
- Public health groups are lobbying for a change in advertising laws around major sporting events, as a new study finds 25% of State of Origin sponsorship this year is by companies who promote gambling, alcohol or unhealthy food.
- Penrith Stadium will likely undergo a major refurbishment but won’t be knocked down and re-built. The Weekender can reveal Labor will deliver on its $309 million election commitment to the stadium, but won’t be enough to cover a complete redevelopment.
- The new ISC extension will see ISC Sport continue as the apparel partner of the Raiders until 2028
- Menai Sand and Soil, another respected and locally based business will be partnering up with the Sharks women in 2023.
- the Sharks are proud to announce a new partnership with Tyrepower, with their branding to appear on the back of the NRLW jerseys and on game day signage throughout the 2023 season.
- Toyota Australia and the North Queensland Toyota Dealers have assured the future of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys inaugural NRLW squad in a milestone Principal Partnership.
- The Parramatta Eels are proud to announce a significant partnership extension with McDonald’s Australia, as the Club’s official restaurant and coffee partner, until the end of the 2027 NRL and NRLW seasons.
- The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the signing of new NRLW sponsor Cook’s Plumbing Supplies. The company’s logo will appear on the back of the player’s jerseys for 2023 and will also feature on LED signage.
- The Parramatta Eels are proud to announce the extension of SPORTBible Australia’s partnership with the Parramatta Eels NRLW program for a further two years.
- The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce a new multi-year partnership with ATS Building Products, a 100% Australian privately owned and operated business that was established in Western Sydney.
- Penrith Panthers can confirm that 2023 will be the final year that OAK Plus will be featured on the front of the Panthers jersey after 12 consecutive seasons.
- The Dragons are pleased to announce HSE Global as NRLW partners for the upcoming 2023 season. HSE Global will become the club’s first dedicated NRLW partners and will occupy the under-number slot on the back of the playing jerseys.
- The Sydney Roosters are proud to announce NRLW Premier Partner Gerain Group as the Club’s official NRLW Head Coach Partner.
- With ticket sales already beyond the 22,000 mark by yesterday, a fifth consecutive 20,000-plus crowd is assured, a feat not achieved since the heady days when the Warriors debuted in 1995.
- The self-proclaimed “sports capital of Australia” has been left in Brisbane’s wake, with the QLD city the top-ranked AUS city in BCW’s annual index.
Womens World Cup Soccer
- A directive by FIFA to cover the plaques of seven Australian athletes at Allianz Stadium ahead of the Women’s World Cup has been quickly reversed amid outrage from the sporting community.
- Football Australia isn’t responsible for the actual running of the World Cup. But it’s FA’s responsibility to capitalise upon the tournament; something that Johnson, three years on from the dark clouds hovering, feels it is ready for.